ITIL is the most recognized framework for IT service management in the world. Delivering a cohesive set of best practice guidance drawn from public and private sectors internationally, ITIL helps service providers with best practice guidance on the provision of quality IT services, and the processes, functions and other capabilities needed to support them.
ITIL provides a systematic and professional approach to the management of IT services. Adopting its guidance offers users a huge range of benefits, including:
- Reduced costs
- Improved value creation
- Improved IT services through the use of proven best-practice processes
- Improved customer satisfaction through a more professional approach to service delivery
- Alignment with business needs, including the development of a business perspective
- Improved productivity
- High-quality IT services that benefit the business customer
- A balanced and flexible approach to service provision
- Well-designed services which meet customers' needs - now and in the future
- Ability to adopt and adapt to reflect business needs and maturity.
The target group of the ITIL Foundation certificate in IT Service Management is drawn from:
- Individuals who require a basic understanding of the ITIL framework and how it may be used to enhance the quality of IT service management within an organization.
- IT professionals that are working within an organization that has adopted and adapted ITIL who need to be informed about and thereafter contribute to an ongoing service improvement program.
This may include but is not limited to, IT professionals, business managers and business process owners.
Candidates can expect to gain knowledge and understanding in the following upon successful completion of the education and examination components related to this certification.
- Service management as a practice (comprehension)
- The ITIL service life cycle (comprehension)
- Generic concepts and definitions (awareness)
- Key principles and models (comprehension)
- Selected processes (awareness)
- Selected functions (awareness)
- Selected roles (awareness)
- Technology and architecture (awareness)
- Competence and training (awareness)
The syllabus will guide the design, development and use of training materials as well as training aimed at raising individual’s understanding of, and competence in, IT service management as described in the
ITIL Service Strategy,
ITIL Service Design,
ITIL Service Transition,
ITIL Service Operation,
ITIL Continual Service Improvement,
ITIL Introduction and ITIL Glossary publications.
Candidates for the ITIL Foundation certificate in IT service management have to complete all units and successfully pass the corresponding examination to achieve certification.
Format of the Examination:
This syllabus has an accompanying examination at which the candidate must achieve a pass score to gain the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management.
Type - Multiple choice, 40 questions. The questions are selected from the full ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management examination question bank.
Duration - Maximum 60 minutes for all candidates in their respective language
Provisions for additional time relating to language - Candidates completing an exam in a language that is not their mother tongue have a maximum of 75 minutes to complete the exam and are allowed the use of a dictionary.
Prerequisite - Accredited ITIL Foundation training is strongly recommended but is not a prerequisite.
Supervised - Yes
Open Book - No
Pass Score - 26/40 or 65%
Delivery - This examination is available in Online or Paper based format.
- May involve drastic change in business culture - a long ramp-up
- Risk of over-engineering and bureaucratic overhead
- Baseline data is critical to analyze results/improvement
- Commitment is needed from all levels of business
- Can't isolate task to single team, committee or department
- Investment and resources must be available and costs can inflate quickly
- Must understand ITIL is a framework of best practices and not a document/bible